Sunday, December 19, 2010

Christmas Card Failure

So I tried to be super economical today. I've ALWAYS loved receiving Christmas cards with people's pretty family pictures, accompanied by a sweet, sentimental, hopefully witty letter of updates from the past year. Now that I officially have my own family, I was really looking forward to showing off my OWN picture card and letter. But as goes my life so often, I was running behind and was just getting my pictures and letters printed today so that I could send them out tomorrow.

Then I realized that it's freaking expensive to buy those picture cards from Wal-Mart if you're needing to send it to over 100 people. So I tried to be economical. I used Publisher and Paint to create my OWN Christmas card, with a background from google images and my own creativity. Then I just sent it to Walgreen's and printed 200 of them for $.10 each! I thought I was being really crafty and was honestly going to laugh at everyone else who pays so much for theirs each year, because OF COURSE mine was going to look JUST as good, and I'd spend a third of the price of everyone else! Well, all I have to say is that it serves me right for being prideful...

The pictures looked AWFUL! The collage portion filled with pictures was super grainy, and the card had been cropped off so that half of one of the pictures was missing. Thankfully we didn't have to pay for them, but now that leaves me unable to send out cute Christmas cards with our picture and witty letter! Now I have neither the time nor the money to get them sent out before Christmas, so I've really wasted my first chance to update everyone on our life as the Kreiders via snail mail. So I thought I would just post it on here for everyone to see, if you have the internet and ever check my blog site, which is probably not often considering I've been a terrible writer lately! But nevertheless, here is our Christmas picture card and letter for your viewing pleasure...




"Greetings, Friends and Family,

Christmas update letters are one of those random things I’ve been looking forward to doing ever since I was a little girl, waiting to have my own family. So it is with much anticipation and excitement that I send you our very first Christmas letter, full of updates, memories, and of course, lots of love!
Derek and I started our new Kreider family one year ago. We are celebrating our one-year anniversary on December 19th, and we are so stunned at how quickly this past year flew by! We have had an absolutely fantastic first year of marriage that has helped us grow, mature, learn, show grace, and love unconditionally. I am so blessed to be married to someone like Derek, who gives new meaning to the words “best friend.” We are the exact perfect fit for one another, and we praise God continually for bringing us to one another.
The last 12 months have been a whirlwind of new experiences. After our memorable wedding last year, Derek and I spent our first Christmas in New York City on our Honeymoon. We’ve also been able to travel to Virginia, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Michigan, and Indiana in the past 12 months, and will very soon be adding Minnesota and North Dakota to our list after Christmas. I’ve checked off two new baseball stadiums (Philadelphia Phillies and Pittsburgh Pirates), and we’ve celebrated with friends and family through many, MANY, MANY weddings! After I graduated in May from the University of Georgia, Derek and I spent a whole month in Pennsylvania for the summer. Then Derek went to Ohio to finish his Masters classes at Cedarville University, while my parents, a few friends, and I spent two weeks walking up and down stairs in the blazing July sun, trying to move to a new apartment in Grayson, Georgia. This was my first real experience of moving, and I must say that it is NOT on my Top 10 List of things I want to ever do again. However, we are truly thankful for and very blessed with our new home!
Praise be to God for providing us both with jobs this year! Derek is continuing on at Peachtree Academy for his second year, where he teaches 6th – 9th grade Science and Bible. He has also been the Assistant Coach for basketball and pioneered the Cross Country program as Head Coach. In the midst of this terrible economy where cutbacks are everywhere, I was able to find a job teaching at Glenn C. Jones Middle School in Gwinnett County, teaching 6th – 8th grade Public Speaking and Student Leadership classes. We are so very thankful to have jobs this year, and we are extremely blessed to have jobs that we love and in which we are fulfilled.
Finally, we have found a new church to call “home:” Ivy Creek Presbyterian Church. This small congregation fits us perfectly, and we are spiritually stretched on a daily basis by the fellowship and teaching we get through Ivy Creek. We have made wonderful new friends at church, and are excited to be participating in a couple’s small group. We are so thankful that the Lord has led us to a church home that teaches the Gospel on a weekly basis.
With that being said, we want to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas. This is such a special time of year where we get to specifically focus on our blessings, family, friends, and love. We celebrate Christmas in memory of Christ’s first coming and the hope that he gave to the world, and we celebrate because of the hope we have in Christ’s second coming, where we will finally be perfectly restored to our loving, merciful God. We pray that you will be joining us in this celebration!
We love each and every one of you and thank you for the constant support and love you shower into our lives! Merry Christmas!

God Bless,
Derek & Catalina Kreider

P.S. If this Christmas letter did not completely satisfy your desired dose of “Kreider,” follow along with our lives on a more regular basis by visiting our blog, “Keeping up with the Kreiders.”
http://derekandcatalina.blogspot.com"




So I guess the P.S. section is completely unnecessary since the only people who will now see this letter are those of you who already are on the internet and use this blog to keep up with us. But oh well... better luck next year, I guess...

Merry Christmas, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. Shutterfly was giving bloggers 50 free Christmas cards! I think the deal is still going on, so you may want to check it out! :)

    ReplyDelete