Saturday, December 4, 2010

Derek got in BIG trouble!

All week long I've been prepping Derek for the errands I knew we needed to run this weekend. We had to take some stuff back to Target and Kohls, get my tail light fixed, buy a present at Bed, Bath, and Beyond, etc. Running such errands is not Derek's favorite thing to do in the world, to say the least. So I've been trying to remind him all week so he feels mentally prepared.

Usually when we go on shopping trips like this, Derek pushes me forward and gets irritated when I even slightly deviate from our intended goal. If I say that we have to go to Target to return something, there is no need to go look at ANYTHING else. If I say we need to go to Kroger to refill a prescription, then we don't need to be ANYTHING else. In my head, I think that while we're already out, we should go ahead and look around to make sure we're not forgetting anything, because I know that he would be even more upset if we got back home and THEN I remembered something I needed. In his head, he thinks that I'm just superfluously wandering around trying to find ways to spend money. He usually makes dry, sarcastic comments. I retort with cutting remarks. We usually end up irritated at each other by the end of the night, but we pester each other until we just giggle about it. Very standard and predictable course of action. But Derek deviated tonight...

I've had a headache all day today, probably because I didn't drink any coffee. So I had already told Derek that I wasn't feeling great and had asked him not to be a butt when we go out together. But to his credit, I knew that I was already starting out in a bad mood. He had already said earlier in the day that he didn't want to go shopping tonight, but I reminded him that our Kohls cash expires on Monday so we have to go. I should have just followed the omens and known that this was not going to be a good trip for us.

We made it through Office Depot without too much annoyances. I mean, Derek did his normal bumping me as I walk along, which constantly throws me off balance, but that's nothing to write home about. It was when we got to Bed, Bath, and Beyond that he made a very big error. We were at BB&B to look at getting new pillows. Derek's mom, Char, had bought us pillows from Kohls for Christmas, but they weren't quite as great as we originally thought. So as soon as we get to the store, Derek is urging me not to deviate from our pre-set goal. He obliges me to quickly look at a potential Christmas gift for a family member, but then we set toward the pillows once again with unwavering focus.

While we were testing out all of the pillows, Derek found one that looked particularly promising. I asked if I could try it out, and this is where Derek severely miscalculated. Instead of gently handing the pillow to me, Derek decided to THROW THE PILLOW AT MY FACE!!! After this unfortunate decision, Derek told me that he's never seen my face look as mad as it did at that moment right after the pillow smacked me on the side of the head! Of course Derek looked at me in complete shock and then he started his little laugh - the one where he's obviously trying to hold back but obviously can't because of how funny he thinks the situation is. He ran over to me, wrapped his arms around me like a dog with his tail between his legs. He quickly says he's sorry, while still laughing through his teeth of course.

Of course we eventually laughed it off, and everything is fine. Derek was a little more lenient with me and let me indulge in looking around a little more in the next few stores. At the end of it all, we had a fun night, and we can now look back and laugh at the moment of complete stupidity when a husband threw a pillow in his wife's face in the middle of Bed, Bath, and Beyond. :-)

I must admit that to any bystander, it probably looked really funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment